3 TRAVEL ESSENTIALS I CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT
There are some items that I pack that are trip dependent, like a bikini on a beach holiday or a snorkel mask for a diving trip. But regardless of the type of holiday, there are always 3 travel essentials that I just can’t live without.
- My pillow. Yep, I go everywhere with my pillow regardless of the length of time that I’m away. I’ve found that it has made a huge difference to the quality of sleep I have in hotels and on planes. I’m a particularly bad sleeper and find adjusting to new time zones difficult, but with the help of my fluffy pillow, I feel like I’m at home in my own bed. It also comes in handy when you’re delayed at an airport and want to catch some zzzzs.
- My photography gear. While I know most of you won’t be carrying around a drone and 5 cameras, chances are you’ll have one. Here is a list of my cameras and when I use them:
- GoPro Hero 5 (insert link) for action based activities like water sports.
- Canon 5D SLR for general travel photography including landscapes.
- Canon G1X with underwater housing for scuba diving. While the GoPro is great for water sports and snorkelling it’s not ideal at a depth.
- DJI Pantom 4 Pro Drone which is great for perspective that you just can’t capture at eyes level. For those of you who follow me on Instagram (insert link) you would see a lot of the top down shots I do using my drone.
- Panasonic Lumix for those situations where I’m going out with a teeny tiny handbag and need something portable.
- DJI Osmo for stabilised video capture. Even when you’re jumping up and down or ridding on the back of a motorbike the Osmo captures perfectly stable videos just like you would expect to see in a movie.It may sound like a lot of devices but who knows when I’m old and lost my marbles, I might need all these photos to remind me of the great times I had!
- My phone and apps. Probably the number one travel essential that I can’t live without is my phone. I’m addicted to all the travel apps that I can download to help make my trip just that much easier. From navigating my way around a foreign city with Google Maps to calculating the exchange rate with XE there is no end to what you can find. Some of my other favourite apps include:
- Google Translate which enables you to speak, scan or type a word or phase in any language and translate for you.
- Open Table to help book a restaurant
- Triposo and Sygic Travel to help work out thing to do
- Uber which works in most countries around the world including Australia, US, UK, Singapore and even India!
3 TRAVEL ESSENTIALS I CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT BY MELANIE DUCA