HOW I CREATED A TINY PLANET VIDEO OR PHOTO IN JUST 2 MINUTES
Everyone by now has probably seen at least one tiny planet video or photo in their Instagram feed. Here is my quick tutorial, on how I managed to create a tiny world photo in just 2 minutes using the Nikon KeyMission 360.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
Firstly, you’ll need to have a camera that shoots in 360. The one that I have used to achieve this shot is the Nikon KeyMission 360. I found the Nikon easy to use and loved the fact that I could fit the device in my pocket.
The second thing you’ll need is a selfie stick or tripod. If you use your arm to take a selfie, your arm will look over exaggerated in the photo which won’t give you the desired result.
Here is an example of the look you get when you use your arm. My arm is blurred and it’s become the focal point of the shot rather than me and my tiny planet.
HOW TO TAKE YOUR TINY PLANET VIDEO OR PHOTO
1. Firstly, you’ll need to make sure you’ve paired your phone with the Nikon KeyMission 360 via WIFI. Simple switch on your KM, then navigate to the WIFI menu on your mobile device. Select the KM360.
2. Once you have successfully paired the device, open the Nikon SnapBridge App, which you can download from Google Play or the App store.
3. Open camera menu and select remote photography.
4. Set up your KM in an area that is open and free from obstruction i.e. Make sure there is no large objects close to the camera lens and there is a lot of open space at the back and front of the camera. It creates a much nicer effect in the shot. Here’s a few examples of a clear beach scene, one I took near the Bronte cliffs and another from a snow field. You can see in all examples that the surrounding area is nice a spacious.
5. Now that you’ve set up your camera and selfie stick or tripod, look at your app and make sure you’ve got the composition the way you want. Record for video or click a photo.
6. Now that you’ve got the perfect shot you want to open another app called the Theta+ app. There are a few other alternatives, but I found this one to be the easiest! Go to edit image > all photos and find your 360 shot and select next.
7. It will by default open as a mirror ball but select the next icon called tiny planet. Pinch and drag to change the perspective of your tiny world and save.
That’s it! Simple! No post production or complicated editing, but an incredible tiny planet pic in just 2 minutes!
Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have about creating your own tiny planet.
HOW I CREATED A TINY PLANET VIDEO OR MOVIE IN JUST 2 MINUTES WRITTEN BY MELANIE DUCA