VIVA LAS VEGAS, TOP THINGS TO DO IN LAS VEGAS
What can be said of Sin City that you probably don’t already know of haven’t heard about. The desert playground for adults is notorious for its gambling, clubs and vibrant atmosphere, as the city never truly sleeps. Its home to some of the world’s most lavish casinos and hotels and it’s the perfect getaway spot for a trip with your favourite pals or when you want a long weekend away from it all! Everyone needs to visit Las Vegas, Nevada at least once in their life and when you do, here are some the top things to do in Las Vegas:
Clubs – Las Vegas nightclubs have to be some of the best in the world so make sure you dress to impress because its Vegas baby!!! It’s also important because if you are trying to get into some of the best clubs then you don’t want an excuse for the door staff to turn you down. Another thing to note with Vegas clubs is it’s inevitable that you are going to face massive lines. The endless lines at the clubs are a bit of a game for the clubs because it gives the impression that the club is really popular. Planning ahead is the best way to avoid the massive nightclub lines. Here are a few tips:
- For most of the big clubs or big name acts you can normally buy general admission tickets online.
- Don’t arrive at the club late when the line is the most full.
- Avoid going in large groups of males. As a female, I’ve never had any trouble getting into a Vegas nightclub, but I have seen on a number of occasions groups of men being turned away at the door. If you’re going in as a group of guys, I highly recommend breaking the group up to smaller groups of two or hanging out with an equal amount of ladies which you can normally befriend in the lines.
- Find a VIP host which you can normally find at the front of most clubs. VIP hosts do this job for a living and will help to get you into the club smoothly. There is of course a cost which can often vary depending on the host. Once you find a good one hang onto them, especially if you are visiting Vegas for several days.
- Table reservations are a great way to have a booth area reserved at a club. In fact when you work out the cost of entry per person and the alcohol you need to buy table reservations can actually be a really good deal. Why? Because included in your table is often a bottle of spirits and a server. If you a looking to enter a club and there are at least 4 of you then this is a really good option.
Notable clubs to visit – There is a never-ending list of clubs to tickle your fancy. If you’re into Hip-Hop or love house then Vegas is the place for you. One thing to note is while there are some favourites, new clubs are opening up every year so its best to look online for what’s going on. I often recommend you follow where the big name DJs are at as a good indication of whats hot.
- Hakkasan at the MGM Grand had to be one of my all-time favourites in Vegas. The lavish nightclub regularly hosts the biggest DJs, including Tiesto, Calvin Harris and Steve Aoki.
- The Light at Mandalay Bay Hotel is one of the biggest and hottest clubs in Vegas. After it’s Grand Opening in 2013 the club has become one of the hottest dance clubs on the stip.
- Omnia nightclub at Caesars Palace features an unprecedented line-
up of DJs and celebrity appearances including Calvin Harris. Winning the 2015 Best New Vegas Nightclub award, Omnia is a multi-level nightclub with a rooftop terrace overlooking the strip. One not to miss!
- XS at the Wynn/Encore have created an extravagant club that sets it apart from many others including both an indoor club that floors into the outdoor pool area.
- LAX is modelled with a dark gothic vibe and a really great place for hard-core dance lovers.
- 1 Oak is located in the Mirage and is one of the citys trendiest clubs. Its the embodiment of sophistication and combines art, fashion and more to create a sexy environment you’re have fun partying at. Its a beauty to behold and a great time if you’re into avant-garde experiences.
- The Bank- Gilded and crystal-adorned, The Bank rests inside the Bellagio Hotel and Casino and is luxury at its finest. Custom ambient and mood lighting on the ceiling and floor create an ultra-sensory experience that’ll make you feel as if you’ve been transplanted back to the roaring 20s! It’s also one of the few venues that primarily play hip-hop music.
- Marquee- The Cosmopolitan club is one of Vegas best club experiences with top names in the EDM scene always spinning there. The lines here get super long, so it’s best that you get tickets or buy a bottle to ensure that you get into one of the citys top clubs!
- Tao- The Asian-themed club in Vegas is inside The Venetian and is one of Vegas older clubs, but it’s still a fan favourite! The lavish club is like an oasis of a party and also features a signature restaurant where you can eat at before you start partying.
- Pool parties:
- Rehab at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino is simply the biggest weekend pool party on the planet!
- Hosting some of the biggest DJs Wet Republic is one of my personal favourites at the MGM Grand.
- Encore beach club is at the Wynn is another beach club that heats up every Friday to Sunday. Be sure to check it out.
Bellagio- The Bellagio is a beautiful hotel and is home to the iconic Fountains. But these Fountains are anything but ordinary and instead gyrate like the best-choreographed showgirls in town! As one of the popular attraction in Vegas, the free choreographed water show is done to more than 30 different songs and is a beautiful spectacular sight to see!
Grand Canyon tour- The list of top things to do in Las Vegas wouldn’t be complete without a trip to the Grand Canyon while in Vegas! Actually, there are many Grand Canyon tours that you can take from the city, including helicopter tours, bus tours and more. Its a couple hours away and it’s worth a trip if you want to see natural beauty at its finest.
Stratosphere- The Stratosphere hotel is located on the north end of the Strip and is one of the citys older ones, but make sure you visit it if you love thrill rides! Its home the X-Scream roller coaster that catapults you headfirst 27 feet over the Tower edge as you dangle 109 stories in the air; Insanity, which is a giant mechanical arm that holds you 900 feet high as you stare down at the Strip; and Big Shot! That shoots you up on the tower 160 feet up in the air!
Shop– Our top things to do in Las Vegas wouldn’t be complete without a shopping guide. The great news for shopaholics like myself is that all the big Casinos have their own shops! Some even have their own shopping mall. There are some really notable ones, including the Ceasers Forum Shops, The Grand Canal shops that runs right through the Venetian and features gondola rides in addition to impeccable shopping.
- If your tastes run on the expensive side, you will want to schedule in some serious time at the luxury shops of Crystals and Via Bellagio. They are even within walking distance of each other if you’re not wearing heels. Also, you may be surprised to hear that there are six certified Rolex dealers on the Strip alone, and that you can buy a Ferrari or Maserati direct from the showroom at the Wynn. If these are a little too pricey for you, check out Fashion Show mall at the north end of the Strip, Miracle Mile Shops at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino and The Forum Shops at Caesars.
- The Forum Shops features 160-specialty stores, fine restaurants and attractions and is home to luxury stores like Versace, Louis Vuitton and many more expensive shops you can blow your cash on if you win big at the tables.
- There are two big outlet malls located just outside of the main centers of Vegas that are worth a visit.
- The Fashion Outlets Las Vegas features brands, such as Banana Republic, BCBGMAXAZRIA, Coach, DKNY, Fossil, HUGO BOSS, Kenneth Cole, Lacoste, Lee, Michael Kors, Nike, Old Navy, Tommy Bahama and Tommy Hilfiger, to name a few. It’s a great place to visit if you aren’t on a ballers budget.
- The Las Vegas Premium Outlets North features brands like 7 for all mankind, Adidas, All Saints, Armani, Bally, Boss, Calvin Klein, Diesel, Dolce & Gabbana, Kate Spade, Michael Kors, Nike, Puma, Ted Baker, Timberland, Tumi and Vince, just to name a small few.
Gamble – Why of course you can’t come to Vegas and not play a game or two. Even for the non-gamblers of the world like me, you can often have a lot of fun at the $10 dollar tables. Some quick tips;
- Know your limits. It’s really easy to get caught up in the excitement of it all, especially after a win, so know where to draw the line.
- If you sit at a table and the dealer knows the people there by name, leave that table. Most likely you are playing against locals, which will reduce your odds even further.
- Don’t gamble drunk! I know its fun, but trust me not only is your judgement skewed, but your ability to read game ques are too. Mostly likely you’ll wake up in the morning with a sore head and empty handed.
- One of the other benefits is that in Vegas casinos they serve free booze free to gamblers. This can save you a fair amount on drinks if you’re smart enough not to blow all that extra cash on the tables. Even for the non-gamblers of the world like me, you can often have a lot of fun at the $10 dollar tables.
Catch a show – You can find a number of shows year round, ranging from adult, comedy, music, theatre, magic and cabaret. At any time you can find some of the biggest acts in town like Britney Spears, Cher and Jennifer Lopez. If you are into acrobatics than you are sure to love Cirque Du Solie, which have a number of shows across the Las Vegas hotels. You just can’t go to Vegas without seeing the show O, which is a fantastic show filled with aquatic acrobatics. You won’t believe it until you see it but the multi-million-dollar stage set up looks like a regular show that then opens into water. Words are almost impossible to describe this show so check out this short YouTube teaser.
Of course, acts come and go, so to find the latest list of shows or make sure to check out other Cirque du Soleil shows like Zumanity, O, The Beatles Love and more.
Shooting ranges- if you’re into shooting or just want to try something new while in Vegas, the city offers a number of shooting ranges to try out. It’s a fun way to pass the time and will provide you with an experience like none other given no many people have ever shot a gun before.
Celebrate a special occasion -Vegas is very popular for weddings, bux parties, hens parties and birthdays. Many people head to Vegas to celebrate some event or another given there are so many options when it comes to celebrations.
Zipline through the Casino with Slotzilla- located on Fremont Street in Downtown Vegas (or known as “Old” Vegas because of all the older casinos) is the Slotzilla Las Vegas Zip Line experience, which is a 12-story, slot machine-inspired zip line attraction that allows visitors to fly through Freemont Street from high up!
Getting to Las Vegas & Las Vegas deals
Booking a Las Vegas flights, accommodation and activities are easy with Wotif. Click below for options on flights, hotels, cars and packages.
Hope you enjoyed the Eat Well Travel Everywhere guide to the top things to do in Las Vegas!! Until next time 🙂